Design and Analyze Your Multi-Physics System with Simulation Software
Technical systems, like machines and manufacturing plants, are often very complex. They consist of a multitude of components and subsystems, usually based on diverse technical domains and increasingly fitted with sensors and controls. Their dynamic interactions have a significant impact on safety, performance, and comfort.
With SimulationX, you have a single platform for modeling, simulating, and analyzing technical systems, including mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, and controls, as well as thermal, magnetic, and other physical behavior. Comprehensive component libraries with application-oriented model elements ensure you have the right tools available for your task.
- Shorten development time by using models to quickly test the effects of various design changes
- Save costs by using virtual prototypes instead of building physical prototypes
- Develop and test control software and hardware with a virtual plant before the system is built (SiL, MiL, HiL)
- Carry out extensive simulation-based experiments to identify potential design problems early, when the cost to change is small
- Create a digital twin of the system that can run in parallel to the real system to monitor system condition and identify faults
We had to be sure it would work before we built a prototype. The results of the simulations gave us the confidence we needed to proceed with the commissioning. It was fascinating to follow the correlation between the previously simulated behavior and the measurements!”
Dr. Mihai VulcanStrategic Projects / Hatebur Umformmaschinen AG, Switzerland
SimulationX is a sophisticated platform to efficiently model, simulate, and analyze mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, and combined systems. From the concept to detailed development to virtual tests, obtain reliable results on the physical behavior quickly and efficiently. The lumped element simulation method enables you to model and simulate even large and complex systems rapidly, economically, and reliably.
As a development partner in the MISSION project (Modelling and Simulation Tools for Systems Integration on Aircraft), which is part of the European program “CleanSky2”, we are working towards the goal of elaborating and establishing a model-based process throughout all phases in the development of aircraft with the help of a sophisticated development environment.
Benefits of SimulationX for Aerospace Applications
- Create next-generation aircraft actuation systems with small, lightweight, powerful batteries, electric motors and generators
- Design energy efficient environmental control systems
- Develop, optimize, and control test benches for components and systems for aircraft and spacecraft
- Equip your training simulators with realistic and physically correct behavior
- Model and simulate complex systems towards hydrogen-based aviation
- Develop reliable drive and altitude control systems of satellites and spacecraft to ensure design and operation for extreme conditions
- Assess safety and reliability with fault tree analyses (FTA) and failure mode and effect analyses (FMEA) based on system models
- Integrate with requirements management and system architecture to create a traceable model-based systems engineering (MBSE) framework that fulfills strong certification requirements for safety and reliability supported by virtual testing
What might the drivetrain of future vehicles look like? How high are power density, energy efficiency, flexibility, vehicle dynamics, and driving comfort? How do several physical systems interact with each other, and how can mechatronic correlations be described comprehensively? How can I quickly simulate thermal loads in electric and hybrid vehicles without having to perform a tedious and time-consuming series of measurements? What is the optimum capacity and performance of my battery in terms of costs, installation space, range, and service life? These and other questions can no longer be answered through measured data. Model your multiphysics systems and conduct virtual tests in SimulationX - from the modeling of drive systems, chassis and vehicle dynamics simulation to efficiency analyses of gearboxes and energy efficiency in general.
Benefits of SimulationX for Vehicle Development
With the multiphysics simulation software SimulationX, you are in full control of a vehicle’s electronics and mechatronics interactions.
- Design and evaluate conventional, hybrid and electric drive systems including battery and thermal management and operating strategies
- Predict and minimize 1D to 3D vibrational phenomena (NVH: noise vibration harshness)
- Design reliable safety & comfort systems e. g. active steering, tailgates, windshield wipers, side mirrors
- Investigate vehicle dynamics e. g. for active and passive vehicle suspension systems (including kinematics & compliance)
- Develop efficient powertrains from drive to wheel incl. lateral and longitudinal vehicle dynamics
- Evaluate transmissions with focus on shifting behavior, as well as gear rattling and whining
- Assess powertrain vibrations and torque ripple originating from the electric machine and inverter
- Configure the battery stacks taking into account the electrical, thermal and aging characteristics of the cells
- Virtually test and optimize control strategies with real-time capable driveline and vehicle models (SiL, MiL, HiL)
- Efficiently simulate, test and analyze the function of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) taking into account environmental and road conditions
The high energy density in power plants, transmission paths, and storages must be constantly available while remaining safe for man and the environment. From various projects, we know the complex requirements with respect to energy efficiency, the integration of renewable energies, and safety. Our simulation solutions offer you a solid foundation for simulating and analyzing fluid power, thermodynamic, mechanical, and electrical systems in order to meet all of these requirements – fast, safely, and efficiently.
Benefits of SimulationX for Energy Technology
- Analyze power plant technology and processes – from drive technology and mechanical transmission of power to load scenarios and safety studies
- Design energetically optimized buildings considering their surroundings and managing interactions of energy sources, consumers and storage systems
- Optimize the operation of hydrogen compression and storage plants
- Forecast renewable energies, from geothermal to hydrogen to solar, optimizing integration into existing grids and validating energy storage scenarios
- Simulate HVAC technology in vehicles, machinery, and buildings
- Evaluate the dynamic behavior of components and systems used for oil & gas production, covering systems; drilling (top-side and subsea), production (top-side and subsea) and subsea construction and process equipment
- Perform reliability analyses and establish Fault Tree FTA of an oil & gas system to identify the weakest link and bottlenecks in the system
With such a vast number of requirements, accurate analyses of transient, nonlinear processes are becoming increasingly vital. For such considerations, it is usually not enough to only look at stress analyses, flow calculations, or cinematic simulations. Mobile machines like excavators, wheel loaders, agricultural and forestry machinery, road construction equipment, concrete mixers, concrete pump systems, cranes and hoisting gear, compression, and tunnel boring machinery are mechatronic systems. Besides mechanical parts, they consist of hydraulic actuator systems and the corresponding control units. Many undesirable effects during operations have their cause in a weak interaction of the sub-systems from various physical domains. Especially the high number of nonlinear processes in mobile machinery is hardly manageable through measurements alone any longer.
- Compare and analyze conventional, electric, and hybrid drive systems
- Optimize hydrostatic drive and steering systems
- Design and automate performance-evaluation of autonomous construction equipment
- Develop and test controller components with respect to functional and energetic aspects early in the design phase
- Calculate forces and moments acting on winches and pulleys of hoist and suspension ropes with respect to rope properties (e.g. length, mass, tensile strength) and load profiles
- Check compliance with certification-related safety requirements (e.g. stability)
- Identify optimization potential for crane design in line with industry standards such as EN 13000 and EN 13001
- Create training simulators with physically correct behavior of the machine
- Maximize operator comfort by analyzing vehicle dynamics