Engineer, R&D Metallurgy
The ESI Group is a pioneer and world-leading provider in virtual prototyping software solutions. We employ about 1200 highly qualified specialists in 40 countries across the globe. The key to our success is the use of realistic material physics, providing "as good as real" virtual results.
ESI group, the leading company in the domain of Virtual Prototyping of Products, is searching for a development engineer specializing in the field of computational metallurgy.
To be integrated into a group of developers and experts in materials modelling and in close collaboration with product development teams, you are expected to participate in various projects involving the development of software components addressing metallurgical aspects of materials, with a strong focus on solidification physics. This covers alloy thermodynamics, calculation of thermo-physical properties of multicomponent alloys, modelling of microstructure evolution and defect formation during solidification and thermomechanical processing. Through the development of advanced metallurgical software, you will actively contribute to provide the automotive and aeronautic industry with cutting edge software to predict and optimize manufacturing processes of metallic materials, primarily for casting, but also for welding and sheet metal forming.
Your key activities will be the formulation of new models, programming, implementation into high performance computing platforms, and validation on industrial cases. You will also interact frequently with strategic industrial and academic partners, and, internally, with other material experts, product management and support teams.
We are looking for a person with a PhD in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science with a minimum 2-3 years of experience in software development.
Required Technical Competences:
- Solid foundation in alloy thermodynamics, phase diagrams and phase transformations in metallic materials
- Expertise in one of the following:
- Computational thermodynamics (CALPHAD methods)
- Process scale models of microstructure (back-diffusion models for solidification, mean-field models for solidification, precipitation, evolution of grain sizes, etc.)
- Mesoscopic models (Phase-field, cellular automata, envelope models)
- Prediction of thermophysical properties
- Experience with a structural analysis or CFD simulation package
- Proficiency in C/C++ and object-oriented programming and related design patterns
- Familiar with source code management tools (ideally Git), IDEs and Agile development methodology and tools (Jira)
- Parallel programming with MPI or OpenMP would be an asset
Required Personal Skills:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to take responsibility for completing tasks on time and within budget
- Can work both independently and in a team environment
- Fluent in English, French is a plus.
WHAT WE OFFER
- An ambitious and innovative technical environment.
- Exciting projects with international teams and customers.
- Interesting work in an international company with great colleagues and office environment.
- Modern and well-equipped offices.